Deploying software with Octopus Deploy involves defining your deployment process with predictable and repeatable steps. That process starts with packaging the software you are deploying.
Before you can deploy your software you need to:
- Decide which format to use to package your software.
- Give your package a package ID.
- Choose and apply a versioning scheme for your software.
- Create the package with all the files your software needs to run.
- Host the packages in a package repository.
The combination of a package format, package ID, and version number makes deploying your software across different environments repeatable, reliable, and predictable. This means that once the deployment process has been defined, your software can be deployed again and again. Octopus makes it easy to trace which software has been deployed to which environments and isolate specific changes within the software.